Sunday 28 December 2008

This kind o'stuff...

Is why a large chunk of the population avoid religious matters altogether.

Here we go... (I've cluttered up the comments with my shock at that behaviour).

When a Christian is bereaved, and writes a piece about it online, do atheist bloggers (not anonymous trolls, real people) comment with "Look, there is no afterlife. NO AFTERLIFE."?

No. Because, you see, that would be no place to discuss theology or politics.

I don't care if the comment was intended to be "friendly" or "helpful". What comes across instead? "Ah, this agnostic woman feels vulnerable and unhappy. I'll get her converted while she's mentally too weak to resist."

As a regular reader of that blog, that commenter is perfectly aware that my dead grandfather was an atheist. He raged against religious indoctrination and cruelty until he died (if anyone's interested, for him the main issue was how religion is used to keep oppressed people down - y'know, the whole message of "all things bright and beautiful" etc.).

I know many, many very good people of many faiths. It's a cliche, I know, but I don't want to bash all religion (here my grandfather and I would part ways, he did!).

But now, you see, he is DEAD. And my mother is bereaved.

On various Trans Day of Remembrance threads on the interwebs, someone always turned up to argue issues of feminist and queer theory.

That behaviour was wrong, and this behaviour is also wrong. I'm aware it is the interwebs, free speech and all that, but you wouldn't do it in a conversation.

3 comments:

Kim said...

im with you on that note Ollie, well out of line, and im not suprised you got so mad

XxX

T. R Xands said...

Some people just don't know when to let it go for a day and it's irritating. Most of my friends know I'm an adamant atheist but the religious ones conveniently forget that fact when I'm grieving or seeking advice *sigh* If I still wanted God to solve all my problems I'd still be Baptist...

(Just dropping byyy~)

Battybattybats said...

So very true!
It's not like there aren't plenty of other places to discuss those things.

They tell themselves that they mean well. Thats the worst of it. The religious folk think its a good time to reach people, that it will comfort them (I have no idea why the pesterers do that with TDOR though) it's however a 'do unto others' fail (and that 'vex not a stranger nor oppress them for ye were strangers in Egypt' fail too).